ZoIPer for Android
From VoIP.ms Wiki
Setting up Zoiper with your SIP/IAX credentials
1. Start Zoiper IAX SIP VOIP Softphone App and click at Create an account.
2. On the welcome screen fill the Username and Password then click on Create an account
- Username: 100000 (replace with your main VoIP.ms account number or sub-account name)
- Password: ********* (replace with your main SIP or sub-account password)
3. On the host screen, fill the Hostname or Provider with any of our servers. i.e. toronto.voip.ms then click on Next.
Note: Bear in mind to use the same VoIP server your VoIP number is using. You can check what VoIP server is your VoIP number using, from your VoIP.ms customer portal at DID Numbers>> Manage DIDs, under POP column. You can choose any server you want, as long as the one in your portal and the one in this field matches, otherwise, incoming calls won't ring.
4. Skip the Authentication step. AuthUserID and Outbound Proxy are not needed.
5. In this screen you can select the protocol that your SIP account will use:
- SIP TLS
- SIP TCP
- SIP UDP
- IAX UDP
Select the one you prefer according to your network's settings, i.e. SIP TCP then click on the Finish button.
Note: If you choose TLS please refer to section 2.2.1 for some extra adjustments, only if they are needed. When choosing TLS, Zoiper should adjust these parameters automatically.
Done, at this point your VoIP.ms SIP account should be shown under Accounts section and marked on Green with a tick arrow next to it. This means your softphone is ready to start placing calls. In case of failure, you can check what error code you're getting from section 3.2
In order to use only the supported codecs by VoIP.ms please go to Settings>> Accounts>> Your account
Scroll down to Audio Codec Settings., and just enable "uLaw" and "GSM". You can touch over the codec and move it to the top of the list in order to change the order. We suggest keeping "uLaw" at the top. In case, you have bought "g729" make this your first option and move it right to the top.
For best results, it is recommended to use WI-FI. But if using 4G/LTE and you experience poor sound quality, it has been reported that turning off ECHO CANCELLATION helps solve the issue.
In order to have your softphone running all the time, proceed with the following steps:
1. Go to Settings>> Connectivity and enable "Keep Alive WIFI" and "Run in Background"
2. Go to Settings>> Accounts>> Your Account>> Network Settings and change "Registration Expiry Time" to 180
In order to use TLS along with Zoiper please follow these steps:
1. Make sure your Main account or sub-account has "Encrypted SIP Traffic" enabled. Bear in mind, if this setting is enabled and you use UDP/TCP you will be rejected with error code 488. Enable this for the Main Account at Main Menu>> Account settings>> Advanced tab and for a sub-account at Sub accounts>> Manage sub-accounts and by clicking on the orange icon with a pen and finally click at "Advanced Options (Click here to display)"
2. Now that your account/sub-account has this setting enabled, your device only needs to send TLS and SRTP.
Go to Settings>> Accounts>> Your account and type:
- Host: atlanta1.voip.ms:5061 (Use the same server your phone number is at, you can check it out from your customer portal at Manage DIDs section, under POP column)
- Username: Your account's number or sub-account name
- Password: Your SIP/IAX password
Note: When using TLS is very important to specify the number of the server, in case the server you have chosen, doesn't use the number "1", you need to add it. Adding any of the SIP ports 5061/5081/42873 is also required.
Now scroll down and look for Network settings and change the "Transport mode" to TLS
Finally, go back to your account settings and at "Encryption settings" enable SRTP
Your account should be shown as registered and when you place a call you will see a closed padlock, which means the call is now secure.
No transport mode found
If there was a typo in your password or if there's a network DNS issue, Zoiper might show the account type options in red. You can select the protocol and hit Finish button even though, they're all red.
Note: Sometimes even when the username, password and server's name were typed fine, Zoiper will show all those options as "Not found" in red. However, you can choose your desired selection and hit Finish.
SIP error codes
In case your account has been marked on red, an error code number will be shown at Settings>> Accounts section. You can check the error response code and correct it. You can check the list of common SIP Response codes for this.
This is the most common error you can get and it's related to wrong information in your username and/or password. Please make sure you have the right credentials and no blank spaces are in your username or password.
On some networks, you might get this error code that could disappear when you change to a different network. This could be due to some limitation on the local SIP ports for this network. As a workaround, you can try the following modifications to your settings.
1. Go to Settings>> Conectivity>> Listening Ports and untick "Random Port" for Local SIP port only and type 5080 in the Port field.
2. Go to Settings>> Accounts>> Your account and at "Host" add :5080 to the server's name.
Zoiper PUSH service
If you're experiencing issues with outgoing calls using the new Zoiper's PUSH server. Please follow these steps:
1. At Settings >> Connectivity:
- Check/Enable "Enable PUSH Proxy" option.
- Set "Proxy protocols" to SIP+RTP.
- Set "Push transport" to TCP (Default).
2. At Settings >> Accounts >> Your account
- Set "Authentication user" with your Main or sub account name. (It's the same value you have for "Username")
3. At Settings>> Accounts>> Your account >> Network settings
- Set "Transport Type" to TCP