Adoption of VoIP among businesses of all sizes has been on the rise recently. With so many features and benefits to offer, there is a lot to gain from the utilization of VoIP services for businesses of all sizes. With the rise of VoIP, the world has also witnessed the rise of cyber threats simultaneously. Having said that, even voice over internet protocol technology is prone to many different cyber threats. Using Call Encryption ensures that your calls and messages are protected from unauthorized access.
VoIP services these days are getting used in every industry including governmental agencies, private organizations, finance organizations, and others. As a result, many information including personal and confidential data is being exchanged over the networks. Call encryption helps to maintain the integrity of such data. This being said, not all VoIP service providers offer encryption services as it increases their cost and requirement for bandwidth. VoIP.ms understands the importance of encryption and the necessity to keep your call safe and secure, thus offering call encryption through SIP Transport Layer Security (SIP-TLS) and Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP) on each call made (when enabled).
To learn more about how to activate this feature, please refer to our Wiki article here: http://bit.ly/2GldG5j
Why VoIP Encryption?
- In order to maintain operational security while using VoIP technology, encrypting the data packets transferred over the internet is an ideal solution. Using encryption makes it a lot harder for intruders to access data packets over the IP network.
- It is important to use call encryption in order to keep your calls private and sensitive information only in between the concerned parties.
SIP Transport Layer Security (SIP-TLS)
- The main goal of the SIP-TLS protocol is to ensure data integrity and privacy between two communicating devices. When the call is being set up, some important information gets relayed between the client and the server including personal details and/or passwords. SIP-TLS ensures that such information is encrypted and indecipherable.
- The client and server communicate in a protected manner that prevents message forgery, tampering and spying on the conversation, however, to use this service, you will have to set up a SIP-TLS connection to the server. The connection is based on a security certificate that acts like a secret code which is known to the client and server only, thus, making it difficult to manipulate communication.
Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP)
- SRTP is the best encryption channel for your business VoIP traffic. It uses Advanced Encryption Standard in order to secure VoIP media and it also hides what you are actually saying to the other parties involved over the network.
- Using SRTP, you will get a unique keystream for each RTP packet of service. The key guarantees that eavesdroppers cannot recover the original RTP stream from encrypted SRTP stream. In order to ensure VoIP encryption, SIP-TLS needs to be used along with SRTP. It is crucial for businesses to ensure data integrity over the network.