From VoIP.ms Wiki
The Virtual Fax feature is used for sending and receiving a Fax (facsimile) with the VoIP.ms service using a DID number specifically dedicated to Faxing. You may obtain such a number from your Customer Portal in the Fax Numbers section under the Order DID(s) of the DID Numbers menu. Regular voice DID numbers are not compatible with the Virtual Fax feature.
Important information to know about the Virtual Fax Service
- The Virtual Fax Service is a Beta release, the features are there and working, issues have been identified and are being or have been fixed. But still it is important to note that we recommend to not be dependent solely on this feature for your critical needs (or mass faxing needs as there is a daily limit of 20 Faxes) while it is still in the Beta phase. It is important to us that you report any issues with this service by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that the developers can get involved if necessary.
- The Virtual Fax Service is only available for U.S. and Canadian DID Numbers specifically acquired from the Fax Numbers Order DID section (Limit of 2 DID numbers per account while in Beta). Porting in your own number for Fax is not possible at this time, this is being worked on however there is no ETA as of yet.
- The Service can only be used to send Messages to Canadian and U.S. Numbers at this time. We also cannot guarantee that International will be properly received.
Virtual Fax DID Number
Virtual Fax works specifically with Fax Numbers only acquired from the VoIP.ms Customer Portal for the moment. There are local US and Canadian numbers available for order. You can order a Fax DID Number from your portal >> DID Numbers >> Order DID >> Fax Numbers. You can select the desired region and a random number from the chosen area code will be assigned to you.
Send a Fax
To start using the service you will need to head to your Customer Portal >> DID Numbers >> Virtual Fax. From the Home Page you can select ‘Send Fax’. There you will see:
- Fax Number or Contact Name: This is where you will put the destination number. You can start typing a name or a number from your Phone book and it will become available.
- From Name: Here you will put the name to send in the Fax header.
- From Number: Select the Fax DID number from which you will send your Fax.
- File: Choose a file to send as a Fax. The file must be in pdf, txt, jpg, gif, png or tif
- Station ID: This will be the station ID you set for the header of the Fax message. It could be a specified post if your location has several stations, such as Reception, Main Office, Accounting PC, etc.
- Send Email: If selected, an email will be sent to the specified address to confirm the Fax has been sent successfully or to advise of a failed attempt.
In this section of the Virtual Fax menu you will be able to view your Inbound and Outbound Faxes. You may select a date range and choose the folder you would like to view. Click 'Get My Faxes' to view your selection. You can view the Status of each Fax and select from several Actions. You can select to View the Fax directly, Download the Fax, Email the Fax to an address of your choosing or alter the location of the Fax by moving it to another folder.
In the 'My Folders' section you can create folders by typing in the folder name of your choosing under 'New Folder' and clicking 'Create'. You will have an overview of your Folders, see the date they were Created, the amount of Faxes in each Folder and be able to Edit the Folder or Delete it. Any Faxes contained in a created folder will revert back to either the INBOX or SENT folder if the created folder is deleted.
My Fax Numbers
In the 'My Fax Numbers' section you will see your Fax DID numbers and Description, the Options that have been enabled for each number, the Email address if one has been configured along with the URL if configured in the URL Callback section. You can Edit the number from the 'Actions' section or choose to Delete it. When editing you will have the option to set an Email Address to receive a notification when a new Fax is received (you can also select to have the PDF file attached in the email) and set a URL Callback (you can also enable URL Callback Retry).
Email to Fax
This feature allows you to send a Fax message using your email account.
How to send a Fax message using your email account: Use the email account you provided when enabling the Email to Fax service. Send the email to email@example.com In the subject field type the Destination Fax Number (Example: 5148000000). Attach the document you wish to send to the email message. VoIP.ms supports the following formats: pdf, txt, jpg, gif, png, tif. Send the email.
Security Code and From Number: If Security Code is enabled, you need to add a dot (.) and the Security Code after the Destination Fax Number (Example: 5148000000.Az09). If you have more than one Fax number, you could change the From Number by adding a dot (.) and the From Number you'd like to use after the Destination Fax Number and the Security Code (Example: 5148000000.Az09.2268280000). If you have not enabled the Security Code and want to change the From Number, you can add a dot (.) and the From Number after the Destination Fax Number (Example: 5148000000.2268280000).