Porting a Number
From VoIP.ms Wiki
Port a number
Porting a number is the process of transfer a number from one provider to another. If you are a VoIP.ms customer and have an existing number with a different provider you can optionally bring it (port it in) to VoIp.ms´ network. Toll free numbers, local USA/Canada and even International numbers can be ported to VoIp.ms.
Our LNP (Local Number Portability) Department handles all porting process and guides the customer through it. They are also in charge of updating the customer via email with any relevant information about the port every time there is a change of the port request status. (Such as when the information has been submitted to the carrier, when a porting date -known as FOC- has been received, when the port has completed, etc)
Up until today, we can port numbers to our network, from the following countries:
- CANADA ($25 usd/number)
- CZECH REPUBLIC
- UNITED KINGDOM ($30 usd/number)
- UNITED STATES ($25 usd/number)
Important: Numbers from these countries can be ported to our network if they belong to a city from where we offer DID numbers, you can verify this information from your portal, under DID Numbers section, you will find a link to order DID's.
For more information about prices you can contact VoIP.ms´ staff, since the rate can vary depending on the country your number belongs to.
Not all numbers from a specific country can be ported in. The most important factor to find out if a number is portable or not is the number´s city (also called ratecenter). In your customer portal, refer to DID Numbers section, you will find a link for DID Portability. In this link you can verify if your number is portable to our network, just click on the link that says "Check availability".
Important: There is a one time fee of $25 usd per number in order to port to our network, the process can take from 1-4 weeks depending on the rate center. (This information applies to port ins for USA and Canada numbers)
Once you have verified your number can be ported, on the same link (DID Portability) click on "Start procedure" you will be presented with a process of 6 steps to initiate the port of your number.
Important: Make sure you have a scan of your latest invoice/statement in PDF, MS Word or as an Image file, SIGNED on a blank part.
Do not sign it over any lines or graphics.
After following all the steps in the process and confirmed your order, you will receive an email notification from our LNP department, that will guide you during the entire process and provide all the necessary updates. If any additional information is required they will contact you, so you can be informed all the time.
Here you can find a detailed explanation of each step you have to follow in order to start a port request:
Some important requirements you need to know before starting a port request:
- Make sure you provide the exact information as it appear on Customer Service Record. This is usually your Service Address. Please note that the service address CAN be different from your billing address. Billing address will usually get rejected if it's not the same as your service address. If you are not sure what is the correct customer service record, please contact your current service provider before proceeding.
- During a regular porting process your number will be working with the losing provider, which means you need to also make sure your number is active and not scheduled for cancellation, until the port gets completed.
- If you decide to port your number, you will have to make sure that your balance cover the fee of the port. Otherwise, our staff will not start the process until the balance is in a positive standing after you have submitted the port order.
- It is the customer´s responsibility to contact the losing provider after the number has ported completely to VoIP.ms in order to request to have the number or other services disconnected with them.
The Canadian and USA numbers are activated on per minute plan once ported. If you would rather have it activated on flat rate, please mention it in the Notes/Comments field, on the step 5 of this port request.
What about porting out?
- If you wish to port out a number from our service you can do so at any time by making a porting request with the new provider, and give your name/address as it is listed on your VoIP.ms account.
Remember that we authorize all port outs if the information matches what is in your account, and you do not have negative balance.
Make sure to delete the DID number from your VoIP.ms Customer portal after the number has been tested fully operational with the new provider.