The business communication world as a whole is slowly moving to IP and SIP is gradually becoming the first choice for many organizations to establish a business connection. There are many reasons as to why SIP has become the de facto communications solution, businesses are mainly migrating from regular PRI to SIP Trunking (also known as Virtual PRIs) because of its improved flexibility, reliability and reduced cost. However, before getting into the benefits of migrating from PRI to SIP, let us talk about what regular PRI and SIP Trunking actually are.
PRI, which is also referred to as Primary Rate Interface, are the lines which are dynamically programmed to enable use where it is needed most. It works within the ISDN specification, so as to transmit voice and data packets between the user and the network. PRI is based on T21 line that consists of 24 channels, 23 for voice and 1 for signaling.
SIP is integrated into a PBX. For businesses to be able to use SIP Trunking, the PBX must have the required hardware so that it can support SIP. It unifies business communications by making use of the IP-PBX system, providing organizations with the ability to transmit multiple types of data over a single line. By working in conjunction with traditional PBX along with IP gateway, organizations are able to gain a more robust communication solution as compared to traditional PRI, at a much more reduced cost.
Following are the key drivers for businesses to make the move from PRI to SIP.
1. Improved Flexibility
- SIP is a user-friendly solution which is designed to be more flexible as compared to PRI. SIP Trunking provides businesses with the opportunity to grow their phone network the way they want to, by eliminating and removing the need to over-engineer traditional PBX systems. With SIP solutions, there is no need for businesses to buy any additional phone circuits than what they really need. Businesses can take the benefit of SIP scalability when they feel the need to expand their communication network.
2. Improved Reliability and Quality
- With a traditional PBX system, businesses have faced many interruptions in their communication networks because of certain weather events or even due to various shenanigans inside their hardware room. With SIP, you automatically get improved quality and reliability in comparison to PRI. With SIP solutions, service providers are solely responsible for all maintenance and periodic update the system might require (indeed, there are some exceptions). Voice quality is highly improved with SIP and with 5G services coming soon, it is bound to get better in the years to follow.
3. Cost Effective Solution
- Traditional PBX and PRI are always subject to mystifying charges for international and local calling. VoIP.ms provides businesses the opportunity to gain access to simple pricing options that are billed on pay-per-use basis. Even the setup cost and overall scalability cost for SIP is much less in comparison to a traditional phone system. With VoIP.ms Bring-your-Own-Device Policy, you can choose the device that fits your needs and your budget. On average, a business can expect to save up to 60% of its monthly phone bill by using SIP solutions.
- The number of benefits of SIP is countless even though cost saving is often one of the most important benefit to a lot of companies. The amount of features can also be used in creative ways and different scenarios… SIP literally empowers enterprises to connect every employee around the globe.