From VoIP.ms Wiki
The Audio Conferencing feature allows several people to dial into your DID number to be bridged together in the same conversation.
Audio Conferencing provides the host with a dashboard monitor that allows organizers to monitor and control different aspects of the conference call in real time. Press the “Start Recording” button to get a recording of your conference call that you can listen and download after for any purposes.
Start using the Audio Conferencing feature by clicking the “Add Conference” button to create an entry. Once your conference entry is ready you can route your DID number to it from the Manage DIDs > Edit interface to start receiving calls into your conference.
Note: Conference feature is only available to DID Numbers in Per Minute plan.
Calls entering the Audio Conferencing are billed each one independently according to the regular per minute rate of the DID number for the whole duration that participant remained in the conference.
Click on the “Add Conference” button to start creating your Audio Conferencing entry.
- Name: This is the unique name of your conference. (e.g. Sales Meeting)
- Description: This can be used as a note or description to easily identify your conference.
- Maximum Participants: Specifies the maximum amount of callers that can participate in this conference. Leave empty for no limit. Once the limit is reached, the conference will be locked until a person leaves. Admin-level users are exempt from this limit and will still be able to access to join a locked conference.
- Language: Language for system messages, such as “Invalid Option”.
Member Profile Basic Options
- Name: This is the unique name of your Member Profile.
- Description: This can be used as a note or description to easily identify your Member Profile.
- PIN: Sets if the user must enter a PIN before joining the conference. The user will be prompted for the PIN. This also serves for selecting the member profile when the user joins the conference.
Note: The usage of the pound key after the PIN number to join the conference can be included or excluded depending on your configuration, for instance, if all the members to the conference are granted with a PIN code with the same amount of digits, they won't be requested to dial pound key, however if one of the members does have a larger PIN code, other members will require to dial
pound key to access the conference.
- Admin: Sets if the user is an Admin or not.
- Start Muted: Sets if the user should start out muted after entering the conference.
- Announce Join Leave: When enabled, this option prompts the user for his name while entering the conference. After the name is recorded, it will be played as the user enters and exits the conference.
- Announce User Count: Sets if the number of users in the conference should be announced to the caller as he joins.
- Announce Only User: Sets if the “only user” announcement should be played when a caller enters an empty conference.
Member Profile Advanced Options
- MOH When Empty: Sets whether music on hold (MOH) should be played when only one person is in the conference.
- Quiet: When set to "YES", enter/leave prompts and user introductions are not played.
- Announcement: If set, this recording will be heard only by the user as he joins the conference.
- Drop Silence: The system will drop what is detected as silence from entering into the conference. Enabling this option will drastically improve performance and help remove the buildup of background noise from the call. This option is highly recommended for large conferences, due to its performance improvements.
- Talking Threshold: The time, in milliseconds, that a users needs to be sending sound or voice before the system can consider them to be talking. Recommended value is 160 MS.
This setting affects different options:
1) Audio is only mixed out of a user's incoming audio stream if talking is detected. If this value is set too loose, the users will hear themselves briefly each time they begin talking until enough time has passed for the system to establish that they are in fact talking.
2) This value determines when talking has begun, which causes events to trigger in the conference dashboard. If this value is set too tight, events may be falsely triggered by the background noise of the caller.
3) The "Drop Silence" option depends on this value to determine when the user's audio should be mixed into the conference after periods of silence. If this value is too loose, the beginning of a user's speech will get cut off as they transition from silence to talking.
- Silence Threshold: The time, in milliseconds, that silence needs to be present in the user’s sound stream before the system can consider it to be in fact silent and close the audio.
The best way to use this option is to set it slightly above the maximum amount of milliseconds of silence a user may generate during natural speech, i.e. the regular pauses while speaking. Recommended value is 2500 MS.
This setting affects different options:
1) This value determines when the user has stopped talking after a period of talking. If this value is set too low, events in the conference dashboard indicating that the user has stopped talking may get falsely sent out when the user briefly pauses during mid sentence.
2) The "Drop Silence" option depends on this value to determine when the user's audio should begin to be dropped from the conference, after the user stops talking. If this value is set too low, the user's audio stream may sound choppy to other participants.
- Talk Detection: If set to YES, the conference dashboard will display a notification when a participant starts and stops talking.
- Jitter Buffer: When set to YES, the system will place a jitter buffer on the caller's audio stream before any audio mixing is performed. This option is highly recommended for maximum voice quality, but will add a slight delay to the audio and slightly impact system’s performance.
Conference Dashboard (BETA)
The dashboard will allow the user to have a graphical interface of the participants in the conference call, providing additional options for the admins. The Dashboard will also offer the "Start Recording" option, making it possible to record the call by the whole duration the call recording service was active. Call recording service has a rate of $0.0025 per minute, for the duration of the recording. The per minute charges will appear in the CDR.
The "Downloads" button opens a screen that allows the user to download and hear the call recordings directly from the user interface.
The option to send the call recording over email is also available. Simply input the target email address and click "Send Email" button.
- Join: The recording played when a user joins, typically some kind of beep sound
- Leave: The recording played when a user leaves, typically some kind of beep sound
- Has joined: The recording played as a user intro, e.g. "xxxx has joined the conference."
- Has left: The recording played as a user parts the conference, e.g. "xxxx has left the conference."
- Kicked: The recording played to a user who has been kicked from the conference.
- Muted: The recording played to a user when the mute option is toggled on.
- Unmuted: The recording played to a user when the mute option is toggled off.
- Only person: The recording played when a user is the only person in the conference.
- Only one: The recording played to a user when there is only one other person in the conference.
- There are: The recording played when announcing how many users there are in a conference.
- Participants muted: The recording played when all non-admin participants are muted.
- Other in party: The recording used in conjunction with the "There are" option, used like "There are" (number of participants) "Other in party”
- Place into conference: The recording played when someone is placed into a conference, after waiting for a marked user.
- Get PIN: The recording played when prompting for a conference PIN.
- Invalid PIN: The recording played when an invalid PIN is entered too many (3) times.
- Locked: The recording played to a user trying to join a locked conference.
- Locked now: The recording played to an Admin-level user after toggling the conference to locked mode
- Unlocked now: The recording played to an Admin-level user after toggling the conference to unlocked mode.
- Error menu: The recording played when an invalid menu option is entered.
- Participants unmuted: The recording played when all non-admin participants are unmuted.
Additional Phone Options
The following are additional advanced options native of asterisk.
For a Regular user:
*=Plays the options menu 1=toggle_mute 4=decrease_listening_volume 6=increase_listening_volume 7=decrease_talking_volume 8=leave_conference 9=increase_talking_volume
For an Admin user:
*=Plays the options menu (conf-adminmenu) 1=toggle_mute 2=admin_toggle_conference_lock ; only applied to admin users 3=admin_kick_last ; only applied to admin users 4=decrease_listening_volume 6=increase_listening_volume 7=decrease_talking_volume 9=increase_talking_volume